If someone were to nominate the best invention for modern homes, it would be a “sliding door”! Sliding doors are a blessing for compact rooms and apartments because they save a lot of space. Compared to solid door types, sliding glass door designs offer many other advantages in terms of space, beauty, insulation and noise protection. They also allow an uncompromising view of your surroundings and access to good ventilation.
Regardless of whether it is indoor or outdoor areas such as patios, it is a wise decision to choose sliding glass doors. The extra-large glass panes on these doors immediately illuminate your dimly lit room and create an energetic environment. Read on to understand the basic details of these doors with their types, the sliding door buying guide and the 10 latest designs.
What are sliding glass doors?
Glass sliding doors are doors that slide horizontally instead of vertically with swing doors. They have a movable door and a stationary door, which are arranged parallel to each other. Large panes of glass are attached to a wooden or metal frame that runs on an upper or lower rail.
Different types of sliding glass doors:
There are many types of sliding doors such as bypass sliding doors, pocket sliding doors, folding doors, etc. In all of these, it is the type of glass that distinguishes a sliding glass door from a normal sliding door. Here are some of the different types of glass for sliding glass doors that are available on the market for various purposes:
- Hardened glass: This is considered safety glass because it breaks up into smaller, blunt parts rather than large, sharp pieces that can be dangerous.
- Reflective glass: This glass is coated with a protective layer to control the inside temperature. The glass not only reflects sunlight, but also protects your house from curious neighbors.
- Double glass: This is the most popular glass for sliding doors, where two glass panes are sealed together by gas compression. Double glass sliding doors are known for their durability and security.
Meaning of sliding glass doors:
As homeowners want better views and sunlight, the new sliding glass doors are a milestone in interior design. They give your houses a stylish look without the need for a high price. They also give the illusion of a large room in the room and create space for easy movement. You can also save electricity costs by choosing cool sliding glass doors!
What needs to be considered before buying a sliding glass door for your home?
Here are some tips from experts for buying sliding doors with glass:
- Sliding glass doors are ideal for houses with limited space. However, if you have a large area and still want to use a sliding glass door, be sure to choose a size that matches your area.
- Choose the right door frame depending on the climatic conditions. Wood is a classic option, but it doesn’t work in damp weather. Metals like steel and aluminum can get loud over time. PVC is a great budget-friendly option, but not as strong as wood!
- Choosing the right glass for sliding doors is a crucial step. The strength and lifespan of your sliding door depends entirely on the quality of the glass. Use thicker glasses such as tempered glass or fiberglass to protect yourself from sudden falls. Using reflective glasses can keep your home cool in summer and improve the efficiency of your air conditioners.