A Pakistani salwar suit is considered the original form of modern salwar suits. The roots of this epitome of Salwar are said to come from Pakistan, the reason for its name. Just as a saree is the national dress of India, Salwar Kameez is the national dress of Pakistan. From little girls to centuries-old grandmothers, almost 90% of Pakistani women with Salwar Kameez are seen as everyday clothes. The size and comfort of a Pakistani Salwar Kameez make it a popular choice with citizens and celebrities. In this article we will discuss this outfit in detail and also explore the latest Pakistani Salwar Kameez collection.
Meaning of the Pakistani Salwar Kameez:
A Pakistani salwar kameez is a loose-fitting, wide pair of trousers that is worn under a long tunic. It also comes with a scarf or a dupatta. This extremely comfortable piece of clothing has hardly evolved over the past few centuries in terms of design, fabrics and colors. The reason – a Pakistani salwar suit is considered the country’s signature clothing style! This Mogul-inspired dress can even turn an ordinary girl next door into a worthy woman!
Features of the Pakistani Salwar Kameez:
Here are the main features of a Pakistani Salwar Kameez design that makes it so unique:
- A typical Pakistani kurta is an ankle-length tunic with a straight cut and two side slits.
- The salwar is made of a flowing fabric that is kept loose and tied to a waist with a thread.
- The Kurti’s neck is heavily decorated with zardosi work, thread embroidery and traditional pashmina work to suit different occasions.
- This dress looks incomplete without the Dupatta, a 2 meter fabric that comes with a matching embroidery or print.
- There are many varieties of this traditional dress such as Mughul Anarkali, Afghan Salwars, Balochi suits etc. These are worn by local women in parts of Pakistan and inspired by many clothing designers.
Fabrics used in Pakistani salwar suits:
The traditional Pakistani salwar suits were designed from natural fabrics such as silk, pashmina and cotton. With the advent of new fabrics on the market, these outfits are now available in:
- Poly cotton
- Artificial silk
How to style Pakistani salwar kameez?
Impressed by the rich history of Pakistani salwar? We have more for you! These styling tips can help you achieve the perfect desi girl look and stand out from the crowd:
- Before deciding on the dress, get an idea of the type of event you are attending and the time of the event.
- For a wedding, use fabrics like brocade, silk, pashmina, satin, etc. that can make you look radiant.
- Choose light colors for day events and dark colors for night events.
- At major events, you should do heavy Zardosi work or Kundan Kurta work with a great looking dupatta.
- If you are looking for work clothes or small events, you can opt for chikan work or printed cotton suits.
- Wear the Mughal style passa with matching chandbalis to look like a royal courtesan.
Fascinated by the beauty of these Pakistani Salwar Kameez designs! We are sure that you are! Each of these patterns was designed by modern designers who were inspired by ancient designs and techniques. Despite numerous such styles coming onto the market, the beauty of the traditional and authentic Pakistani suit can never be replaced. What is stopping you from doing this? Choose your favorite selection, follow our styling tips, and get ready to steal the show!